About Mallzee: Who we are & what we do
Mallzee is the UK’s leading multi-retailer fashion shopping app, and the original ‘Tinder for Fashion’. Our app helps 1.5 million users find, compare, save and buy clothes quickly and easily from hundreds of high street retailers. Based on the insights from user opinions on thousands of products, we work with industry-leading retailers to help them improve their merchandising and buying functions, using tens of millions of product ratings generated from the Mallzee app every month. In the coming years, Mallzee aims to change the retail industry by creating world-class shopping experience, and bringing consumer preferences into the heart of brands’ and retailers decision-making process.
Founded in Edinburgh in 2013, Mallzee has raised 4 rounds of investment and grown to a team of 26 based at our city centre offices. We’ve won a range of awards from leading tech publications, been featured in press articles around the world and seen Business Insider select us as one of the hottest startups in Scotland. Mallzee offers a forward-thinking, fun-loving and collaborative team environment where all voices in the team and of our users are heard. Across the company, our focus is on building a global tech business that everyone is proud to work for, and that changes an industry which desperately needs help.
The Role: API Developer at Mallzee
At Mallzee, everything is built on data, which we use for our app and retailer products, as well as to drive our own business decisions. Our data warehouse is large and diverse in types/formats of data and we continually work on improving the quality and speed of access in order to leverage it for a wealth of applications.
As a data focused API Engineer, you will be working closely and collaboratively with the rest of the product team on improving the structure and quality of the data inside the Mallzee back-end. You will take charge of ensuring that the right data is served appropriately to be consumed by several different resources. You’ll be writing good quality, tested and documented code, taking our API and data platform to the next level. You’ll already understand what it takes to deploy your code into the wild and you’ll be passionate about building software that actually makes a difference.
You are not afraid of tinkering with new tools, trying new methodologies and fixing mistakes in a continuous deployment fashion. In this role, you will own what you build, explore and use a variety of tools in the cloud and keep up to date with new technologies. You will have the opportunity to make a big impact in the sector and work in a very friendly and collaborative environment, cooperating with all the departments of the company.
The app API that you will be responsible for powers millions of customer interactions with products every month and helps retailers understand what consumers really think of their products.
What are we looking for?
- Experience with cloud computing platforms, ideally AWS
- Understanding of data streaming techniques and tools
- Knowledge of SQL and NoSQL databases
- Proficiency with Git and ideally GitHub
- Some experience working with Python
- Restful APIs and third party libraries
- Unit testing and test frameworks
As a person, you are
- A team player with a desire for cooperation and mutual support
- A fast learner, not afraid of not knowing things and being comfortable with saying so
- Passionate about efficient, high-quality work - wanting to create amazing, well-tested software
- Organised and with strong attention to detail
- Able to discuss and justify your code with your peers
- Curious and up-to-date about the latest technologies
We have high expectations of our team. In return, we offer a great environment where people thrive, develop and grow - professionally and personally.
We offer you:
- A chance to make a real difference to millions of users and top retailers
- A great team environment with talented colleagues, working on the latest tech
- A competitive salary, based on experience and potential
- Access to staff share options pool
- Show & Tell Fridays with drinks and snacks
- Free team lunch every month and a yearly retreat with the whole company
- Training budget, personal development and access to our company library
- A central, well-kitted out office in the heart of Edinburgh
- Lots and lots of cake...
How to apply:
Tell us why you want to work with us, how your skills will make a difference and what makes you the right person to take us to the next level of our journey. Please attach your CV and any examples of work you’ve done that has had a significant impact on users and businesses.
No recruiters, please - we're managing our recruitment process directly with the right candidates.