About Mallzee: Who we are & what we do
Mallzee is the UK’s leading multi-retailer fashion shopping app, and the original ‘Tinder for Fashion’. Our app helps 1.5 million users find, compare, save and buy clothes quickly and easily from hundreds of high street retailers. Based on the insights from user opinions on thousands of products, we work with industry-leading retailers to help them improve their merchandising and buying functions, using tens of millions of product ratings generated from the Mallzee app every month. In the coming years, Mallzee aims to change the retail industry with world-class shopping experiences, while bringing consumer preferences into the heart of brands’ and retailers decision-making process.
Founded in Edinburgh in 2013, Mallzee has raised 4 rounds of investment and grown to a team of 26 based at our city centre offices. We’ve won a range of awards from leading tech publications, been featured in press articles around the world and seen Business Insider select us as one of the hottest startups in Scotland. Mallzee offers a forward-thinking, fun-loving and collaborative team environment where all voices in the team and of our users are heard. Across the company, our focus is on building a global tech business that everyone is proud to work for, and that changes an industry which desperately needs help.
The Role: Android Developer at Mallzee
We are looking for a talented and experienced Android developer to join our team and help us continue to build a first-class shopping experience that users love. We work hard to make sure our revolutionary mobile shopping app is top quality, fun to engage with and solves real problems for all our users. Since launch our Android app has been featured heavily by Google and Samsung, including as part of the launch of Android Pay (now known as Google Pay) and Samsung Pay. We are looking for someone with great ideas, strong coding ability and dedication to making the best shopping app out there.
What you will be working on
Our customers are the most important people in our business, and our main job is to create the best possible customer experience for each one of them. As part of our team of developers you will be making that experience a reality, and you will be responsible for building a mobile shopping app that our customers love.
Day to day you’ll be working closely and collaboratively with the rest of the product team on our native Android version of the Mallzee app. You’ll be writing good quality, thoroughly tested code that drives our product to the next level, delighting users along the way. Your mission is to make sure that our Android app is something our users love so much they keep coming back to it - and they tell all their friends about it too.
As our new Android developer you will join our team of mobile, web and back-end developers, working closely with our design, data and marketing teams to deliver new features and updates to existing functionality in an Agile environment.
We are looking for someone with:
- Strong working knowledge of:
- Android Studio and the Android SDK
- Object-oriented and multithreaded programming with Java
- Android compatibility libraries and Google Play services
- Solid understanding of the full mobile development life cycle
- Mobile App architecture and design patterns
- JSON and Restful API interfacing
- Relational & Non-Relational Databases and local storage management
- Implementation of elegant and usable mobile UI for multiple screen sizes and orientations through XML
- Git, GitHub
- Unit testing
- Custom view creation and maintenance
- Experience with:
- Third Party Libraries and APIs
- Continuous integration
- Working in an Agile style team
- Dependency Injection and Event buses
- Ability to discuss and justify your code with your peers
- Strong attention to detail
- Great awareness of mobile UX and design patterns and device-specific requirements
- A passion for building a fantastic customer experience
- Curiosity for the new and bleeding edge trends in app design and development
As a person, you are also someone who is always challenging yourself and others to make better experiences for the users of the products you work on. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about making great products that work well for everyone, and who can be self-driven, always staying up to date with the latest research and technologies. You are a natural at taking ownership of your tasks and managing your time, as well as showing leadership in your role.
We have high expectations of our team. In return, we offer a great environment where people thrive, develop and grow - professionally and personally.
We offer you:
- A chance to make a real difference to millions of users and top retailers
- A great team environment with talented colleagues, working on the latest tech
- A competitive salary, based on experience and potential
- Access to staff share options pool
- Show & Tell Fridays with drinks and snacks
- Free team lunch every month and a yearly retreat with the whole company
- Training budget, personal development and access to our company library
- A central, well-kitted out office in the heart of Edinburgh
- Lots and lots of cake...
How to apply:
Tell us why you want to work with us, how your skills will make a difference and what makes you the right person to take us to the next level of our journey. Please attach your CV and any examples of apps you’ve worked on. We’d love to hear about how you’ve made an impact to users and/or businesses with your previous work!
No recruiters, please - we're managing our recruitment process directly with the right candidates.